A “Wedding Warning” by Chandler Travis
Recently I heard Chandler Travis and his Three-O at historic Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs (which, incidentally is one of my favorite places in the world).
Reviewers say that Chandler can’t do anything with a straight face, and I agree. The performance was brilliant, zany, unpredictable, sometimes crazy, sometimes heart-touching.
Chandler is convinced that wedding vows are too “flowery.” A wedding vow, Chandler believes, should be very much like a warning on a pack of cigarettes. So he has written a wedding vow of his own, which he calls a “wedding warning.”
It is a crowd-pleaser. At Caffe Lena the audience roared at every sentence, sometimes at every word.
If you’re looking for a funny wedding toast, here’s some fabulous material. But you will need to pick your audience. If it’s an uptight crowd, forget it. But if they’re fun-loving and appreciate satire, go right ahead. All you have to lose are your friends.
It is a bit long for a toast, but you can get away with it if you preface it by saying, “I found a wedding toast by Chandler Travis, which I’d like to read to you.” Then read part or all of it. We here at whatyousay.com think it’s wonderful.
WEDDING WARNING by Chandler Travis
Stop! You don’t know what you’re doing.
You think my love will protect you from the rest of me; it won’t.
I vow to give as good as I get, and I pledge to doubt most of what you say, and to keep what’s in my heart from you, until it can do the most harm.
When you leave me, you will know that you can survive anything.
If we have children, they will hate both of us at regular intervals, and we will feel trapped. If we don’t have children, we’ll be angry at each other about that, and we’ll feel trapped.
I promise to take for granted; to go downhill, both physically and mentally; and to make you feel even more uncomfortable with the rest of your family.
I will complain about you to others, and, when you accomplish something, I will minimize it.
All this will I do without even knowing that I’m doing it or why!
I will be late; I will lie to you to protect myself; I will leave the seat up; and I will try to get the troth I pledged you back.
I will embarrass you and I will forget important holidays; and it’ll take me forever to understand certain things that couldn’t be more obvious to you.
Boy, are you in for it now.
If there’s anyone else in the world who thinks this is a good idea, shut up, or we’ll tear you to pieces.
I now pronounce you mad at life —you may eat the bride.”
–Gene Griessman is an internationally known keynote speaker, actor, and consultant. His video “Lincoln on Communication” is owned by thousands of corporations, libraries, and government organizations. He has spoken at conventions all over the world. To learn more about his presentations, contact us at 404-256-5927 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t leave yet. Whatyousay.com is full of great advice from very wise individuals. Check out the other great articles. You’re already here. Why rush off? We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator and more successful if you invest your time here.
WHATYOUSAY.COM WEBSITE SPECIAL!
JUST IMAGINE HAVING THESE WONDERFUL BOOKS, CDs, AND VIDEOS ON YOUR BOOKSHELF!
You will be delighted!
We guarantee it. With a lifetime return guarantee!
You won’t believe how much you receive for your investment!
You will treasure this collection for years!
PICTURE HOW THRILLED YOU WILL BE WHEN YOU OPEN THE PACKAGE!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Good Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
Better Gold Special $180 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Best Platinum Special $240 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! One-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM SPECIALS!