What You Say When You Want To Express Disappointment
by Gene Griessman, Ph.D.
Andrew Jackson is remembered as a man of violent passions, prickly, and always ready for a fight, not for his tact. But on one occasion, Jackson’s response was so diplomatic that it could serve as a template for anyone who has been disappointed by someone’s behavior.
Here’s the background. In 1834, the French Chamber of Deputies began debate about paying the United States 25 million francs– about $5 million–as an indemnity for French damage to American shipping during the Napoleonic wars. France had already signed a treaty agreeing to pay, and the treaty had been confirmed by Congress.
Yet, after four days of deliberation. France declined to honor its obligation.
That decision infuriated Andrew Jackson, but he controlled his legendary temper, and told the French minister, “I have always loved France, and it would only be with the deepest sorrow that I would have to change my feelings.”
You can use Andrew Jackson’s words as a model in negotiation, arguments, and political debate.
–Gene Griessman is an internationally known keynote speaker, actor, and consultant. His video “Lincoln on Communication” is owned by thousands of corporations, libraries, and government organizations. He has spoken at conventions all over the world. To learn more about his services, contact us at 404-256-5927 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t leave just yet. Check out at least one other article. You’re already here. Why rush off? Whatyousay.com is full of good advice. We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator if you invest more time here.
WhatYouSay.com Website Special!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Best–Platinum Special $290 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! one-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Better–Gold Special $230 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Good–Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM BUNDLES