What You Say When You Can’t Agree, But Want To Continue The Discussion
by Gene Griessman, Ph.D.
If the other individual has expressed a point of view that you can’t agree with, and you’ve had a chance to say what you think, often the best thing to do is to move on. Otherwise, you are like two dogs chasing each other around a table. You could do one more loop, but you know it wouldn’t do any good.
I’ve heard marriage counselors use the same analogy to describe quarrels between spouses. Most every couple goes round and round a few times. Wise partners recognize when they have gone around too many times, and one or both individuals will pull out of the loop.
Couples whose relationships are doomed can’t seem to do that. They just keep going round and round, getting angrier and more frustrated each lap. You might just save your marriage, friendship, relationship if can learn how to break out of the loop.
One way is to use the power phrase in the next paragraph. Incidentally, you can use the same power phrase in negotiations.
The other evening Rachel Maddow, whose well known for her liberal views, was doing an interview on her MSNBC show with Michael Steel, former chairman of the Republican Party. Maddow and Steel had both explained their respective views, and were starting to chase each other in a circle. Very courteously Maddow said: “I get your point, and you get mine. Could we move to another point?”
This is a great agree-to-disagree statement. Try it out next time you reach an impasse with your spouse, good friend, or with someone who’s across the table from you at the negotiating table.
It works for two reasons. One. It’s respectful. You tell the other person that you listened, and that he/she made a point. Two. It breaks you out of the tiresome, round-and-round loop.
Here it is again. “I get your point, and you get mine. Can we move to another point?”
–Gene Griessman is an internationally known keynote speaker, actor, and consultant. His video “Lincoln on Communication” is owned by thousands of corporations, libraries, and government organizations. He has spoken at conventions all over the world. To learn more about his presentations, contact us at 404-256-5927 or email@example.com.
Don’t leave just yet. Check out at least one other article. You’re already here. Why rush off? Whatyousay.com is full of good advice from very wise individuals. We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator, and more successful if you invest more time here.
GENE GRIESSMAN’S WEBSITE SPECIAL!
JUST IMAGINE HAVING THESE WONDERFUL BOOKS, CDs, AND VIDEOS ON YOUR BOOKSHELF!
You will be delighted!
We guarantee it. With a lifetime return guarantee!
You won’t believe how much you receive for your investment!
PICTURE HOW THRILLED YOU WILL BE WHEN YOU OPEN THE PACKAGE!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Best–Platinum Special $290 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! one-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Better–Gold Special $230 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Good–Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM BUNDLES