Sales Advice From Mark H. McCormack: Let The Prospect Say “No”
Many sales managers and trainers will tell you not to let prospects say No.
I know that’s what I was taught, and still believe to a certain extent. Once they go negative, it’s hard to get them back.
So I was surprised recently when picked up an old sales-and-negotiation classic “What They Don’t Teach You In Harvard Business School” by Mark H. McCormack, and found that McCormack says it’s OK for a prospect to say No. In fact, McCormack believes it’s desirable.
And McCormack is one of the biggest names among sales and negotiating stars, the founder of the International Management Group (IMG) which has managed some of the most important sports figures or all time. So, you have to give his idea respect.
Without further introduction, here’s what McCormack recommends:
“Get some No’s
People have a need to say no. So let them.
If you have a shopping list (of items that you are selling) throw in a few ringers. Collect some negative currency before you get to whatever it is you really want to sell.
If you’re only there to sell one thing, make a suggestion or assumption and let them tell you you’re wrong.
People also have a need to feel smarter than you are. A few well-placed no’s create the right environment for a yes.”
Don’t leave yet. Check out at least one other article. You’re already here. Why rush off? Whatyousay.com is full of good advice. We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator if you invest more time here.
WhatYouSay.com Website Special!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Best–Platinum Special $240 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! one-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Better–Gold Special $180 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Good–Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM BUNDLES
–Gene Griessman is an internationally known keynote speaker, actor, and consultant. His video “Lincoln on Communication” is owned by thousands of corporations, libraries, and government organizations. He has spoken at conventions all over the world. To learn more about his services, contact us at 404-256-5927 or firstname.lastname@example.org