What You Say In A Reply To A Complaint Letter
By Gene Griessman, Ph.D.
Letter-writing advice for business letter: When you reply to a complaint letter, maintain a helpful, friendly tone from beginning to end. Even if the complaint letter’s tone is angry, overcritical, and accusatory, you must remember to remain courteous and helpful.
A letter is not like an unrecorded conversation. You are creating a permanent record with words. If you lose it, replying in kind, matching harsh words with harsh words, your words could come back to haunt you.
Acknowledge the writer’s viewpoint, which is not the same as agreeing that their position is correct. You can say something like, “Based on what you’ve told me, I can understand how disappointed you are, etc.”
If it is going to take a while to investigate the situation, inform the complainer that you’re working on it, and will be back in touch as soon as you have some answers. And if the process takes quite a while, get back in touch with the complainer with periodic updates. This is very, very important.
One final point. A complaint can be an opportunity. Do not think of the time you spend replying as just a chore. It is an investment.
At the very least, the letter you received is feedback. The complainer is telling you how at least one person feels about your product or service. Many organizations pay secret shoppers in order to get this information. And at the very least, thank the writer for taking the time to let you know how he or she feels.
At a higherlevel, if you handle the complaint skillfully, you may strengthen your organization’s relationship with the complainer. And get more business. AND, when the complainer tells what a fine letter you wrote, it will enhance your image.
Stanley Marcus, the iconic president of Neiman-Marcus, told me in an interview that his company welcomed criticism, especially from picky, individuals. He believed that paying attention to complaints helped NM improve customer service, make good decisions about their product line, and sustain loyal relationships.
–Gene Griessman is an internationally known keynote speaker, actor, and consultant. His video “Lincoln on Communication” is owned by thousands of corporations, libraries, and government organizations. He has spoken at conventions all over the world. To learn more about his presentations, contact us at 404-256-5927 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t leave yet. Whatyousay.com is full of great advice from very wise individuals. Check out the other great articles. You’re already here. Why rush off? We guarantee you’ll be a better communicator and more successful if you invest your time here.
WHATYOUSAY.COM WEBSITE SPECIAL!
IMAGINE HAVING THESE BOOKS, CDs, AND VIDEOS ON YOUR BOOKSHELF!
You will be delighted!
We guarantee it. With a lifetime return guarantee!
You won’t believe how much you receive for your investment!
You will treasure this collection for years!
YOU WILL BE THRILLED WHEN YOU OPEN THE PACKAGE!
1. “AN EVENING WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN” Splendid 4-camera shoot at the Georgia Dome; color
2. “THE WORDS LINCOLN LIVED BY” An acclaimed treasury of Lincoln quotations
3. “TIME TACTICS OF VERY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE” Regarded world-wide as one of the greatest time management books ever.
4. MEM-CARDS 10 techniques to improve your communication skills
5. “99 WAYS TO GET MORE OUT OF EVERY DAY” CD You will start making better use of your time immediately.
6. “LESSONS FROM LEGENDS” Listen to insider secrets from exclusive interviews with Ronald Reagan, Aaron Copland, Julie Andrews, Tennessee Williams, Ray Charles, Jack Nicklaus, Hank Aaron, and many others. CD; 1 hour
7. “LINCOLN SPEAKS TO LEADERS” Lincoln’s thoughts brought to life and applied to daily activities
8. “LINCOLN’S WISDOM” The Gettysburg Address, plus many more excerpts from the acclaimed one-man play, CD, two discs, 2.5 hours
9. “LINCOLN ON COMMUNICATION” Perfect for self-study; ideal for seminar or classroom use—comes with a teacher/trainer guide DVD and CD, 1 hour ($120 if purchased separately)
Good Silver Special $85 Items 1-7 ($105 if purchased separately)
Better Gold Special $180 Items 1-8 ($340 if purchased separately)
Bonus! 30-minute telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
Best Platinum Special $240 Items 1-9 ($460 if purchased separately)
Bonus! One-hour telephone coaching session with Dr. Gene Griessman–complimentary with this selection.
FREE SHIPPING IN THE U.S. FOR SILVER, GOLD, AND PLATINUM SPECIALS!